The medically supervised weight-loss program at the Loyola Center for Metabolic Surgery & Bariatric Care is much more than a diet. This is a multifaceted program directed by board-certified physicians with special training in bariatric medicine. We offer it as a stand-alone program, or in conjunction with a surgical weight-loss option.
The program may last 12 weeks, six months or longer, depending on your specific needs. It begins with an introductory seminar that gives you a thorough overview of medical surgical weight loss; the different approaches available, and the benefits, risks and challenges of each. You will have an opportunity to ask questions, and to decide if you want to make an appointment for an assessment.
The medical program is very comprehensive and includes:
- A thorough physical assessment, including medical history and examination, physiological and laboratory tests, nutritional and metabolic evaluations, a sleep apnea assessment if indicated, and other tests determined by your specific needs
- A psychological assessment to determine your readiness for the program
- Regular clinic visits, determined by your individual need
- Additional specialty consultations, if needed
- Individualized nutrition counseling, in which registered dietitians help you make a healthy eating plan, make the best food choices, and learn problem-solving techniques to achieve a healthy diet
- Physical activity and membership in our specially equipped Gottlieb Center for Fitness, supervised by an exercise physiologist
- Counseling to help you implement behavioral strategies and lifestyle changes
- FDA-approved prescription medications, if needed
- A meal replacement plan, if needed
- Support groups